Subject: Re: [boost] To modularize, or not to modularize. What is the plan?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-05-07 16:13:54

On 5/7/19 7:49 AM, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:
> Robert Ramey wrote:
>
>> Get me boost library X and place in directory location Y.
>
> This is at present roughly achievable with the following sequence of
> commands:
>
>  git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/boostorg/boost.git
>  cd boost
>  git submodule update --init tools/boostdep libs/$X
>  python tools/boostdep/depinst/depinst.py -X test $X
>  ./bootstrap.sh
>  ./b2 --prefix=$Y --with-$X install

hmmm - looks like we're getting somewhere!

> But that's an entirely different use case. This is
>
>  Boost Github -> user
>
> as opposed to
>
>  Boost Github -> Boost release -> package manager (apt, conan, vcpkg)
> -> user

"entirely different use case"

I asked for "Get me boost library X and place in directory location Y"
and it looks like you responded to it. So my case is different than
what exactly? How is this different from what may users would find
useful. I'm clearly missing something here.

Robert Ramey