From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-01-25 20:44:17

On 1/23/2021 6:20 AM, John Maddock via Boost wrote:
> I have no solution for this, but I note that neither do we have CI, nor
> tests on
> https://www.boost.org/development/tests/develop/developer/summary.html
> that aren't Intel x86.  The compiler list has shrunk to msvc/clang/gcc
> as well.
>
> I note that at least in theory, other platforms/architectures could be
> integrated into Drone CI (either the CppAlliance one, or our own), but
> someone would have to offer to host the clients running the tests.
>
> Any thoughts/solutions?

My main thought is that, while you are correct about not testing on
something other than Intel x64, from the programmers viewpoint he is
writing code in C++ and not for a particular platform/architecture. At
the most he may be writing code with attention to a compiler or OS, but
hardly ever does a particular CPU itself come into play unless lower
level assembly code, tailored to a CPU, comes into play. So
realistically the programmer does not care about a CPU at all. Even if a
test were to fail on some other platform/architecture, where it normally
passes on Intel x64, what would a programmer do about it ? Probably very
little. Maybe, at the very most, report a problem to the compiler
running on that platform/architecture that their is something wrong
somewhere. But for the vast, vast majority of times such a problem would
hardly indicate anything wrong with the code itself. I offer all this up
as a possibly valid reason why testing a Boost library on some other
platform/architecture, other than the usual Intel x64 on
Mac/Linux/Windows, is not going to be a big priority for any Boost
library developer/maintainer.