From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-10-02 16:30:25

On 02/10/2023 17:18, Vinnie Falco wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 2, 2023 at 7:40 AM Niall Douglas via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Seeing as nobody here has raised this concern to date, can I confirm
>> everybody here is fine with proposed Boost.Async being called Boost.Async?
>
> I don't like it at all and I agree with the "land grab" concern. I was
> hoping this library would be rejected and the naming would be a
> non-issue. There were only what, 2 reviews?

I believe the current count is six reviews, and two sets of detailed
notes which are most of a review each. More than enough.

All recommend acceptance incidentally. My work will be to condense the
conditions into a feasible set for Klemens to work upon.

I see no current reason why it won't be an accept, just with conditions.

It's not too late for a review from you or Richard if you have strong
feelings that the library ought to be rejected?

>> If you are not, please suggest a preferred alternative name.
>
> Certainly, the naming of a library plays a significant role in its
> perception and utility. Here are ten alternative names that aim to be
> specific and descriptive, while avoiding a "land grab":
>
> Boost.Coroutinify
> Boost.Asiotasker
> Boost.CoAsio
> Boost.Yielder
> Boost.AwaitIO
> Boost.AsioGen
> Boost.FiberAsync
> Boost.Eventuals
> Boost.TaskifyAsio
> Boost.CoroutineX
>
> Choosing a name that resonates with both the functionality and the
> ethos of the library can be a delightful challenge. Happy coding!
>
> ---
>
> The ChatGPT-4 prompt which produced the above:
>
> A boost library is proposed which is based on Boost.Asio and C++20
> coroutines, and calls itself Boost.Async because it provides
> generators, tasks, and promises to facilitate coroutine
> implementations. A reviewer has raised the concern that the name
> Boost.Async constitutes a naming "Land grab" as it is too generic.
> Propose 10 other names for this library which are not generic.

Clever GPT.

Niall