From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-11-06 11:13:51

On Sun, Nov 5, 2023 at 1:10 PM Andrey Semashev via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> The recent case of a commit in develop that was left unmerged to master
> made me wondering if people still find the develop branch useful.

I find it very useful for all my repositories. This is the standard procedure:

* Work is submitted as a pull request
* Once CI passes and reviewers approve it is merged to develop
* At this point the work becomes available to third parties who
perform testing on the develop branch
* After a week or two has passed (varies depending on the changes)
with no third-party complaints develop is merged to master

The implicit contract with users is that the master branch will be
safer for tracking work performed between releases. While the develop
branch is suited for the collaboration of authors, maintainers,
contributors, and code reviewers.

Thanks