From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-11-06 17:39:48

On 11/6/23 8:32 AM, Andrey Semashev via Boost wrote:
> On 11/6/23 19:26, Robert Ramey via Boost wrote:

>> I develop and merge into the develop branch.
>>
>> When marshal announces a release, I merge the develop branch into the
>> master branch.  What is confusing about this?
>
> Above you wrote that you merge to *develop* on Marshall's announcement.
> If you meant *master* then then that's fine.

Right. My mistake. I merge into master from develop on Marshall's
anouncement.

This implies that:

a) I'm only mucking with the master once in 3 mo or so.
b) users/testers/etc. depending on the serialization library master
branch have a stable platform during their own development.

One of the thing's that drove me nuts when I developed using the develop
branch for other libraries (boost.test, e.g.) was that the environment
was always changing. I was constantly having failures due to other
libraries in development. OK this is what the develop branch is for.
But it makes it impossible to use in test. One can't run an experiment
if he's changing all the variables simultaneously.

Robert Ramey