From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-01-07 17:32:17

Glen Fernandes wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 7, 2024 at 12:19 PM Peter Dimov wrote:
>

> One obvious alternative is Github Releases; this has been raised in the
> past,
> and Raffi Enficiaud even created a script to do it:
> https://github.com/boostorg/release-tools/pull/16
> but for some reason, there was no interest in using this for releases.
>
> Ultimately, the release managers need to decide whether to pursue this
> as
> an option.
>

> If we change what goes into the distribution, this is an option. As far as I was
> told, at our current distribution size, this would require LFS which GitHub
> would charge us for.

https://docs.github.com/en/repositories/releasing-projects-on-github/about-releases

says

"Each file included in a release must be under 2 GiB. There is no limit on
the total size of a release, nor bandwidth usage."

The currently hosted archives are comparable in size with the official releases.

The official boost_1_84_0.7z is 106 MB, and the corresponding CMake archive
is 90.1 MB.