From: Glen Fernandes (glen.fernandes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-01-07 18:11:28

On Sun, Jan 7, 2024 at 12:32 PM Peter Dimov wrote:

> Glen Fernandes wrote:
> > If we change what goes into the distribution, this is an option. As far
> as I was
> > told, at our current distribution size, this would require LFS which
> GitHub
> > would charge us for.
>

> https://docs.github.com/en/repositories/releasing-projects-on-github/about-releases
>
> says
>
> "Each file included in a release must be under 2 GiB. There is no limit on
> the total size of a release, nor bandwidth usage."
>
> The currently hosted archives are comparable in size with the official
> releases.
>
> The official boost_1_84_0.7z is 106 MB, and the corresponding CMake archive
> is 90.1 MB.

In other words, as long as the GitHub release can be made from our existing
repository contents, we should be fine?

i.e. We cannot put our current official built releases into a GitHub
repository because any file over 100 MB would be rejected:
https://docs.github.com/en/repositories/working-with-files/managing-large-files/about-large-files-on-github

"GitHub blocks files larger than 100 MiB.
To track files beyond this limit, you must use Git Large File Storage (Git
LFS)."

Glen