From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-02-15 16:36:19

On Thu, Feb 15, 2024 at 8:13 AM Andrey Semashev via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> ...what happens if The C++ Alliance ceases to exist?

That is a great question! We have thought about this, and note that the
problem exists for whoever controls the boost.org domain. While I do not
see the C++ Alliance going anywhere, we value and cherish the Boost C++
Library collection and want to make sure to mitigate as much risk as
possible. To this end we have created a low-cost mirror of the current
static website which can be pointed to in a DNS record if for some reason
something happens to the new website. We also keep a copy of the website on
hand in case there is some old information that we missed, so that we can
refer back to it. And we also keep a copy for the case where the new
website has an accessibility bug, so that affected users have continuity of
access.

...what happens if The C++ Alliance...loses its interest in Boost?

The C++ Alliance is not one person who can "lose interest"; it is the sum
of its non-profit charter (to contribute to C++) and the Staff Engineers
who share the mission. These engineers are maintainers or authors of Boost
libraries so what you are asking is what happens if all of the authors and
maintainers of these Boost libraries suddenly decide they no longer wish to
contribute to Boost? This seems unlikely...in fact we are suffering from
the opposite problem. There are too many outstanding engineers who want to
work with us and I feel terrible for turning them down due to budgets.

Thanks