From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-03-05 11:43:32

El 04/03/2024 a las 15:38, Andrey Semashev via Boost escribió:
> There are also a number of technical issues reported on GitHub. Some of
> them that I consider important for adequately replacing the current
> website are:
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/website-v2/issues/1000
> https://github.com/boostorg/website-v2/issues/996
> https://github.com/boostorg/website-v2/issues/951
> https://github.com/boostorg/website-v2/issues/946
> https://github.com/boostorg/website-v2/issues/945
> https://github.com/boostorg/website-v2/issues/943
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/website-v2/issues/932
> https://github.com/boostorg/website-v2/issues/786

Great.

>> Now the next question is: *What's missing technically so that the new
>> website can to live?*
>
> It is already "live" as it is accessible through boost.io.
>
> If you mean switching boost.org to the new website then the IP and
> control issue I mentioned is blocking it.

Ok, I'd like to understand what the IP issue is.

----
Code
----
Every Boost library has a copyright assignment to someone that wrote
that code. Should the website code different? Current website says:
Copyright Beman Dawes, David Abrahams, 1998-2005.
Copyright Rene Rivera 2004-2007.
Distributed under the Boost Software License, Version 1.0.
Then the new website code should be assigned to whoever wrote the code
as long as is under BSL. People doing pull requests can add new files
with their name to the copyright part in existing or new files if the
contribution is important.
So I have the impression that the IP status of the new website is the
same as the old one.
----
Images
----
I certainly don't know much about image and logo IP, so take this with a
grain of salt. Regarding images, most images in the website (if not all)
can be under a permissive license so there shouldn't be a problem with that.
Then we have the logo. I'm trying to understand what the status of the
current logo is and unfortunately I can't find much information on that.
I see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Boost.png
https://github.com/boostorg/Artwork
"They were created by Zoltan Juhasz, and are licensed under the Boost
Software License."
Then Zoltan Juhasz is the first (and maybe only?) owner of the
copyright. I can't find any additional information, so the logo status
seems similar to the code, there is a copyright owner (the author) and
the logo is used by the community. I'm not sure about the use of BSL for
images as I understand that BSL is designed for software.
If that's the case with the old logo, then nothing changes if anyone
creates a new logo, puts it in a sensible license and provides some
terms of use agreed with the community (maybe we should only allow the
logo strictly to activities related to Boost libraries).
Finally, IMHO (surely not shared with other here), if the logo is an
issue we can just remove the logo from the website to avoid any blocking
issue. The logo doesn't write code.
Best,
Ion