From: Glen Fernandes (glen.fernandes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-03-07 09:36:26

People have been asking me to reply to this, but I don't know what I could say
that I haven't already said earlier in this thread. Ion, maybe you
would consider
attending the next Foundation meeting. Rene, the invitation extends to you too,
and anyone else who has participated in this thread.

Ion wrote:
> In the Boost tradition, decisions are made by developers, not by users,
> Steering Committee, Foundation, or any other organization that
> contributes (CppAlliance, github). The last time the foundation tried to
> make a "Boost decision" it didn't work for this very reason.

This is true. As I have said before, the role I see of the Foundation is to
provide support and resources. Not to control anything. If Boost developers
want something, the question we can answer is "How can we provide it?".

Some things are not affordable, and we can show you the answers why.
e.g. Cost of running a particular website. Costs of a CDN so that we don't
lose downloads.

> IMHO, by definition, the ownership of the server is not a technical
> issue, but a governance/trust issue. Boost libraries and tools are
> hosted in Github, and they are certainly more important than the
> website. BSL is what protects us from anyone "owning" anything.

To reassure anyone that needs to hear it, the Foundation does not exert any
such control over the Boost Github. More than one person has asked me to
restate this. I did not dismiss the concern that some in the community have
raised privately that especially certain Foundation members should not
suddenly be given rights to manage the boostorg Github repositories.

> As I said in previous posts, I'm grateful to all past and present
> members of the Foundation for their time, work, money and effort. But
> with all due respect, the Boost board's mission is not to govern the
> boost project, including the website, but to seek community-driven
> leadership, and I wholeheartedly agree with that.

Things will become easier once everyone sees that both:
- This is the current state of things
- There is no desire to change it

Glen