From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2024-03-07 15:22:42

Hi Ion,

Ion Gazta?aga wrote:
> We've had quite an intense debate regarding the proposed new website.

In the previous thread I asked "whose website is it?", by which
I mean, who is in legal terms the "Data Controller"?

Imagine that there were some kind of data leak, or it turned out
that the site were (unintentionally) slurping data that it shouldn't
be, or someone posts CSAM on the forum. Who gets sued? Where does
the buck stop, legally?

My feeling is that if C++ Alliance are in practice in control of
the website then they need to take responsibility for it legally.
The legal risk should not be transferred to the Boost Foundation.

The current boost.io site is reasonably clear that the site belongs
to C++ Alliance in this sense, which is good. That needs to not
change, IMO, if/when it is adopted as an "official" Boost site.

BTW, I've just had a very quick look at the current Terms of Use
and I see that they say "You agree that by accessing the Services,
you have read, understood, and agreed to be bound by all of these
Legal Terms. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH ALL OF THESE LEGAL TERMS,
THEN YOU ARE EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED FROM USING THE SERVICES AND YOU
MUST DISCONTINUE USE IMMEDIATELY.". That's clearly nonsense as
it is not presented as an unavoidable popup, but rather as a
page linked in the footer. Anyway I haven't read all the terms,
so I've discontinued as instructed.

Regards, Phil.