Re: [Boost-docs] The beauty of LATEX

Subject: Re: [Boost-docs] The beauty of LATEX
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-19 01:30:36

on Tue Oct 18 2011, Joel de Guzman <joel-AT-boost-consulting.com> wrote:

> Yes, that is what I envision. Alas, it seems Quickbook now is too
> tied to Doxygen/Docbook. It might be better to simply leave Quickbook
> as it is and start a Quickbook-2 rewrite with a decoupled backend
> in mind. You might cringe at the thought of another Doc tool,

I have no problem with another Doc tool as long as another Doc tool is
not a Boost-only project and has substantial users outside of Boost.

> I know that you are an advocate of ReST,

Meh; it's a serviceable tool.

> but I would assert that we Boost/C++ folks are in the best position to
> provide tools for documenting C++ and no other tool I know of is
> flexible enough to cater for C++ needs (think Concepts, for example),
> than Quickbook, especially with its template mechanism.

I guess I need to study that a bit.

> I really would like to have Quickbook evolve outside of Boost into
> a stand alone documentation tool for C++.

Excellent. But then, don't leave out other languages :-)

> In my spare time, I am starting to write an article series based on
> our 2008-2009 BoostCon talks about using Spirit to build a compiler
> (but this time targeting LLVM). I would like to eventually compile the
> article series into an e-booklet (possibly self-publishing). That is
> my real intent on why I want a LaTeX backend.

Nice.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing