Boost logo

Ublas :

From: Jeremy Conlin (jeremit0_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-10 14:04:25

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 1:58 PM, Andreas Klöckner <lists_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On Montag 09 Juni 2008, Jeremy Conlin wrote:
> > Excellent! I currently get my bindings from the subversion repository in
> > boost-sandbox. I get the feeling that these updated bindings are not in
> > the sandbox, but in another location. Where is the best place to get the
> > most updated files?
>
> The answer depends on what you would like:
>
> - The official bindings svn tends to have tests in place and moves
> relatively
> slowly. Fixes and additional code sometimes don't get accepted for a
> variety
> of reasons. If the contributor loses interest at the wrong time, his
> contribution vanishes into the depths of the mailing list archives.
>
> - With my repository, you get all of the above, plus most (all?) of the
> fixes
> and contributions that got dropped previously. You get a higher chance of
> finding bindings for the functionality you want (or having a bug fixed that
> someone else noticed), in exchange for a slightly higher likelihood of
> breakage if you end up using one of the newer parts.
>
> Andreas

I'm somewhat confused by the problem here. I recognize that Boost strives
to provide bullet-proof libraries. That is good and there is a great need
for them. This does make Andreas' package important as you can use
libraries that are still under development, but good enough for your uses.

But isn't that the reason for the boost-sandbox? Isn't that where packages
under development are stored and developed until they are ready for
inclusion in the boost release? At least, that's what it appears to be for
to this newbie.

Jeremy