Boost logo

Boost Interest :

Subject: [Boost-cmake] boost-cmake building bjam?
From: Sean Chittenden (sean_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-21 17:52:55

I'm keen on using boost-log (boost-log.sf.net) and want to begin using it, but it uses bjam to bootstrap its build environment. I can build it by hand (cd tools/jam/src; ./build.sh), but bleh. Is there any reason the cmake version doesn't build bjam or have a variant to support it? I cruised through the docs and didn't see anything (grep(1) failed to find anything in the usual places). Don't get me wrong, I'm not keen on bjam and conversely it's not the end of the world to build bjam by hand, but it'd be nice to have one fewer barrier to entry to use other boost libraries that haven't been officially adopted/integrated by cmake.

Along the same lines, what's involved in integrating boost-log in to boost-cmake? If I ported boost-log over to cmake and conditionalized its building for if the appropriate "log" directories are set, would such patches be welcome? At present, boost-log is under review (finally). The thought in terms of the end result would be something like: tar -xjpf boost-cmake-1.41.0.tar.bz2; unzip boost-log.zip; mv boost-log/... boost-cmake-1.41.0...; and cmake would automatically detect whether or not the library was present or not based on its existence.

-sc

PS After revisiting bjam to get boost-log working, my feelings towards bjam are much more closely aligned with the statement "writhing hatred."

--
Sean Chittenden
sean_at_[hidden]