From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-06-03 18:56:54

Peter Dimov wrote:
> Edward Diener wrote:
>>
>> I think, Mr. Dimov, if you could document 'protect' and 'apply' a
>> little better in relation to boost::bind and give more exmaples of
>> their usage, it would be helpful to many programmers running into
>> problems such as the current one has.
>
> I am left with the impression that you think that I find the
> documentation perfect, have plenty of free time, but deliberately
> don't update it. ;-)

What in the language to my comment would make you believe that ? You have
greatly misinterpreted my simple suggestion or something in the tone of it.
I did see your smiley, but I think you are reading into the above more than
is actually there.

> Believe me, this is not the case. I merely find
> it "good enough" for a volunteer one man effort from which I have not
> derived (and have never expected) any monetary value.

Fair enough. I really don't see what your deriving any monetary value has to
do with your viewpoint, however. If you were well paid for the documentation
would you then not find it "good enough" ?

> Perhaps it would be possible for you to write a short (*) Bind
> article that complements the current documentation? We can then
> decide whether and how to incorporate it in the official distribution.

I really don't quite understand how "protect" and "apply" actually work
myself, which is why I asked for a clearer explanation, with some good
examples. The word "evaluate" confuses me when referring to these ideas. I
was hoping that by suggesting a clearer explanation of it in the
documentation I would understand how better to use these constructs. If I
could understand it, I would gladly write something about it and send it to
you as possible additional documentation to boost::bind, since I think very
highly of boost::bind and have used it in some of my own software. I don't
mean to sound dumb about "protect" and "apply" by this idea of lazy or
immediate evaluation in boost::bind eludes me.