From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-10 15:10:53

"Steven T. Hatton" <hattons_at_[hidden]> writes:

> There seem to be two different general approaches to using bjam. One is to use
> "objects" such as /Main/ and /Library/. This is described here:
>
> http://www.boost.org/tools/build/jam_src/Jamfile.html

This is the Perforce Jam documentation. You should probably ignore
that unless you want to use stock Perforce Jam.

> The other approach is to use "rules" such as /exe/ and /lib/. This is
> described here:
>
> http://www.boost.org/tools/build/v1/build_system.htm

They're both rules.

> Am I correct in viewing these as separate approaches that I am free to choose
> between?

Not really. The former is the standard Perforce Jam idiom; if you
use that you won't really be using Boost.Build at all... and I'm not
positively certain that bjam still supports those rules.

> Is one approach preferable to the other in terms of future
> compatability, or generally accepted practices?

HTH,

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting