From: Foster Brereton (fosterb.boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-07 01:11:08

On 2/4/06, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
[snip]

> > I have found the mailing list archives proved helpful, but took an
> > inordinate amount of time to search through. Is it possible to take
> > threads in the mailing lists that look something like this:
> > - A: I have problem XYZ
> > - B-Z: Oh, you need to do this
> > - A: That fixed it, thanks!
> > and convert them to a FAQ or additional documentation?
>
> Maybe. Who would do that, and how?

My initial thought is that should be the responsibility of the library
owner. Most of the time they're the one responding to the user's
issues. Even if they're not they should have a pulse on the mailing
lists as it pertains to their library so as to be aware an issue has
come up and has been resolved. I would imagine doing these updates
piecemeal, as the questions come in and are answered, would make for
light work on a regular basis, and would amount to a significant (and
relevant) piece of documentation.

Another alternative/extension to this idea would be to have the one
who posted the question reflect their answer/experience to a Wiki or
some other collaborative page. It could take some of the strain off
the developers. A "boost-wikipedia" in my opinion would go very far,
giving those who have authority on a library the ability to contribute
and develop the docs one piece at a time. They are the ones who are
actually using the code, after all, and would have the best insights
on what content would make the most impact. If it had the blessing and
support of the boost developers behind it, it could have the momentum
it needs to be useful.

Blessings,
Foster

--
Foster T. Brereton - Computer Scientist
Software Technology Lab, Adobe Systems Incorporated