From: Arkadiy Vertleyb (vertleyb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-25 11:59:24

"Keriask" <keriask_at_[hidden]> wrote
> Hi. I find the 2 pros given in the docs to use the
> preprocessor library not valid! I was about to use the
> preprocessor library for the 1st time but after seing
> and studying some of the preprocessed output from
> various compilers it killed the only apparently valid
> argument the preprocessor docs present themselves to
> use it: integration and read to run. Obviously
> integration can be made easily with the #line and
> #error directives, wich will even allow my custom code
> generator to have syntax error checking. The other
> argument is not really true since a simple text
> processor can be made portable very easily, hey Linux
> does it with much more complicated stuff and it works
> most times.
>
> BTW, I'm not trying to bash it by any means(the work
> and effort put there are amazing), I just want to find
> a good reason to use it myself which unfortunately I
> haven't so far.

If your goal is to generate some repeatative code, you could probably get
away with your own generator. I suspect most applications of Boost PP are
just like this.

OTOH, if you want to define a macro which expands according to parameters
provided by your macro users, your generator will not help you, but Boost PP
will, and it will help you tremendously.

As an example, the implementation of typeof emulation in Boost.Typeof would
not be possible without Boost PP (or a similar library).

Regards,
Arkadiy