From: Klaim (mjklaim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-01-20 05:13:33

Hello,

I tested the MVS memory leak detector few months ago and it don't seem
return the allocation file path until you use "malloc" instead of "new". (at
least in my tests - tried with an empty application) It's a shame.

Anyway, there is another way to add more informations if you can run your
application with exactly the same state twice. I discovered it maybe 30
minutes ago and it worked well for my case.

As stated there :
http://www.oneunified.net/blog/Personal/SoftwareDevelopment/MemoryLeakDetection.article
and there : http://winter.eecs.umich.edu/soarwiki/Tracking_down_memory_leaks

you can add a breakpoint on a specific leaking memory allocation (between
brackets in the debug log) by setting _crtBreakAlloc variable to it's
allocation id

Like in the last link exemple, on the start of you main() :

#ifdef _MSC_VER
        //_crtBreakAlloc = 1828; // uncomment that line and set the leaking
memory allocation id instead of 1828
        _CrtSetDbgFlag ( _CRTDBG_ALLOC_MEM_DF | _CRTDBG_LEAK_CHECK_DF );

#endif // _MSC_VER

The MSDN docs are not verry explicit about that ( neither for vc8 nor vc9 ).

Hope that helps.

Joël Lamotte.