From: Andreas Huber (ahd6974-spamboostorgtrap_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-03 11:24:26

Hi Marc

> I'm trying to convert a custom statemachine implementation in a real-time
> application to Boost.Statechart. The FAQ mentions that custom allocators
> have to be provided for Event, StateMachine etc. in order to get
> deterministic timing behaviour. I'm currently working on an allocator
> which uses an internal preallocated memory pool. Now my question is
> whether it is possible to determine how much memory i need to preallocate
> for the States and Events.

Besides the obvious ones (storage for events & states, memory usage also
depends on what features you use: event posting, history, etc.). It is
theoretically possible to determine the exact memory requirements in advance
but it's probably much easier to simply let the machine run through all
possible states (e.g. with the unit tests you've written) and observe the
amount of memory used. If that is not an option for you please let me know.

HTH,

--
Andreas Huber
from the address shown in the header.