Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Boost-user] bjam and env var
From: Sebastian Hauer (sebastian.hauer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-03 10:49:31

Hello Vladimir,

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 2:36 AM, Vladimir Prus <vladimir_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> notation. More complex, but unlimately best approach is creating
> file third_party.jam, with the following content:
> project.initialize $(__name__) ;
> project third_party ;
> rule init ( name : library-path : include-path : defines * )
> {
> lib third_party
> : # sources
> : # requirements
> <name>$(name) <search>$(library-path)
> : # default build
> : # usage requirements
> <include>$(include-path) <define>$(defines)
> ;
> }
> and add
> using third_party : .... ;

Thanks for the example on how to initialize standalone 3rd party
projects. Base on the comments in project.jam I eventually figured
out how to do it myself although slightly less elegant and without
'using'.
I'm just wondering is there somewhere a cookbook style set of examples
of how various things can be done using boost build (something beyond
the included examples with boost build that is). I really like boost
build, it solves a lot of problems for me out of the box which I
previously had with other make replacements but the documentation is
sometimes a bit brief.
Also is there somewhere a document which gives an overview of some of
the design ideas behind boost build?

Thanks,
Sebastian