Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Boost-user] bjam and env var
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-03 12:07:27

Sebastian Hauer wrote:

> Hello Vladimir,
>
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 2:36 AM, Vladimir Prus <vladimir_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> notation. More complex, but unlimately best approach is creating
>> file third_party.jam, with the following content:
>> project.initialize $(__name__) ;
>> project third_party ;
>> rule init ( name : library-path : include-path : defines * )
>> {
>> lib third_party
>> : # sources
>> : # requirements
>> <name>$(name) <search>$(library-path)
>> : # default build
>> : # usage requirements
>> <include>$(include-path) <define>$(defines)
>> ;
>> }
>> and add
>> using third_party : .... ;
>
> Thanks for the example on how to initialize standalone 3rd party
> projects. Base on the comments in project.jam I eventually figured
> out how to do it myself although slightly less elegant and without
> 'using'.
> I'm just wondering is there somewhere a cookbook style set of examples
> of how various things can be done using boost build (something beyond
> the included examples with boost build that is). I really like boost
> build, it solves a lot of problems for me out of the box which I
> previously had with other make replacements but the documentation is
> sometimes a bit brief.

There was something on boost wiki, but I'm not sure it has much. At this
point, things like above can probably go into main documentation.

> Also is there somewhere a document which gives an overview of some of
> the design ideas behind boost build?

(Re)writing overview section of the doc is on my todo list, very close to the
top -- it seems like documentation starts to become the most critical part
of boost.build.

- Volodya