Subject: Re: [Boost-users] at_thread_exit() never getting called
From: cowwoc (cowwoc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-07 12:31:15

Peter Dimov-5 wrote:

> I'm not sure what the current behavior is, but in this scenario, no hooks
> should be executed. I think that this is consistent with how TSD
> destructors
> work under POSIX, but I can't test this at the moment.

Unless I missed something, I don't think that the scenario you propose would
work for my use-case. Basically, I've got a thread that runs in an endless
loop until the program shuts down. When the program shuts down, I want it to
clean up some resources cleanly. The way I've done this is by registering a
at_thread_exit() hook that causes the aforementioned thread to shut down
cleanly (breaking out of the endless loop) thereby allowing it to clean up
its resources cleanly. I don't want to user of my API to have to explicitly
invoke dispose() on this thread because it is initialized lazily and is just
a side-effect of my particular implementation (other implementations can do
without it).

How do you propose I implement this with the scenario you outlined?

Thank you,
Gili