Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [function] rare crash on destroy
From: Roland Bock (rbock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-25 13:55:22

Igor R wrote:
>> Is it possible that the free does not fail for the functor itself but for a member variable (for instance a pointer which is freed in the destructor)?
>>

> Well, first of all, the place where it crashes looks like an attempt
> to invoke the destructor of functor_type - it's not inside the
> destructor yet. The out_buffer looks like it's freed.

Possible. I am not exactly fluent in assembler or in MSVC++ compile
options. If you have some optimization on, you might not be able to see
the exact line which actually crashes, I guess.
> Besides, my boost::function object contains the result of bind() with
> smart pointers only.
>
> Still, I've got one little doubt... Consider a smart-ptr that can be
> implicitly converted to the pointee (CComPtr), and a function that
> looks like this: func1(IMyInterface *obj);
>
> CComPtr<IMyInterface> ptr = ...;
> function f = bind(&func1, ptr);
>
> The binder will store the smart pointer itself, converting it in the
> place of the actuall call, right?

That sounds reasonable, but I am allergic to ComPtr ;-)

If your own code is in charge of calling

void post(const Functor &func)

maybe you could wrap the functor in second functor which contains some
information about the nature of "func". Maybe this will allow you to
find out if only specific functors lead to the crash?

Taking a stab in the dark...

Regards,

Roland