Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [boostbook+quickbook] : A way to write latex math
From: Bo Jensen (jensen.bo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-26 14:32:05

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:21 AM, John Maddock <boost.regex_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> Unfortunately at present I don't see an easy way to integrate this into
>>> PDF
>>> generation - as the code you posted is HTML output specific. However,
>>> given
>>> that MathJax can handle MathML - which is what Boost.Math uses for it's
>>> equations - I guess we need to experiment to see if this can be nicely
>>> integrated into the Boost.Math docs.
>>>

>> Well, it's a LaTeX formula, which can be converted to PDF by latex /
>> pdflatex to be included in another PDF document, there has to be a way
>> to make that work.
>
> I'm 100% sure it can be made to work, and I'm 100% sure it won't be easy!
>
> For example with MathML the docbook XML needs the MathML content in a
> separate namespace to get all the tags passed through correctly, but MathJax
> requires that a namespace prefix *not* be used :-(
>
> I'm sure some kind of fancy custom docbook XSL processing layer could be
> used for this, I just don't want to have to write it!
>
> John.
>
> PS.  Update: looks like docbook dbhtml-include processing instructions might
> work.... will investigate.

Just a final comment on this subject. You can argue that in some
situations it's OK to have features only available in one format say
html. Especially when the code change is so small.

Let me give you another example. I also have implemented so I can put
Google Custom Search in my documentation, which allows the user to
search parts or the whole documentation. It's very easy and in my
opinion would be a great improvement for the boost online docs. At
first glance, you only think on the search features, but it's more
than that. You as a software provider, get stats on user searches,
which can be used to improve the search and the documentation.

Just a suggestion.