Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Does anybody interested in active object pattern?
From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-07 00:58:06

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 10:56 PM, Marat Abrarov <abrarov_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Does anybody interested in active object pattern for massive parallelism by means of C++? (Intel TBB doesn't offer a
> similar approach)

I'm not sure how you think active objects help for massive parallelism
because the active object pattern implies that you're serializing
operations on a single object.

I've used Boost.Asio to implement Active Objects but only in cases
where it makes sense -- like for example a concurrent accumulator or a
concurrent resource handle (log sink for example). You'd be better of
doing data parallelism with Boost.MPI and/or Boost.Asio's io_service
run on multiple threads, and having independent tasks multiplexed
across a number of processors (either through processes or threads).

I remember reading about Microsoft's efforts (through Herb Sutter) to
introduce an "active" extension to Microsoft Visual C++, where you can
easily make classes that instantiate to active objects. I'm not sure
where that effort is now though.

HTH

--
Dean Michael Berris