Subject: Re: [Boost-users] named pipes in boost for Linux
From: rohini chandra pallapothu (rohinichandrap_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-18 05:52:19

Hi Bruno,

Thank you for the reply.

I have seen this documentation before. It says that two processes have to be
related.

Boost.Process enables processes to communicate with each other only if they
are related: One process must have created the other. If you want two
processes which are not related to exchange data you should use
Boost.Interprocess <http://www.boost.org/libs/interprocess/>.

After reading the above sentences, I did not further read Boost.Process. And
Boost.Interprocess does not offer pipes from what I understood. I had used
boost message queues for my work but due to a short coming in the boost
message queues, I am looking for another IPC technique to replace them. The
short coming I refer to in boost message queues is being not able to wait on
a message queue. I mean that it seems to be not possible to get a file
descriptor of a boost message queue.

Best Regards,
Rohini Chandra