Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Review] Lockfree review starts today, July 18th
From: Gottlob Frege (gottlobfrege_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-20 22:01:50

2011/7/18 Klaim - Joël Lamotte <mjklaim_at_[hidden]>:

> Just a minor request so far :
> If I remember correctly (and I might be very wrong as my memory is really
> not clear on this point), the presentation at boostcon started by explaining
> why lockfree data structures should be used only in last resort or something
> like that.

Sorry that it wasn't clear in my talk (and I agree that it wasn't).
Using a lockfree library isn't a last resort. Doing your own lockfree
code is the part that should be a last resort.

I still wouldn't replace a locked std:: data structure with a lockfree
one without measuring performance, but if you see that it improves
performance, then go for it.

Tony