Subject: Re: [Boost-users] vxworks and pre-built boost libraries
From: Chris Cleeland (chris.cleeland_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-29 16:11:35

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Brian Vandenberg
<phantall+boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> I'm no expert on boost, but it's really going to depend on (a) which
>> portions of boost you want and (b) how you'll be running vxworks
>> (kernel vs. RTP) and what target.
>
>  Immediately, I'm looking to get boost::serialization working.  We
> use vxworks on ppc boards as well as their 'vxsim' environment --
> which is code compiled to run natively in the host environment.  The
> sim environment may be running under sparc or x86 hardware, so we were
> toying with the idea of resolving endianness issues with
> boost::serialization.
>
>  That said, it isn't the only one we're interested in using, it's
> just the one I'm focusing on at the moment.

I've not used serialization before; if it's a header-only part of
boost, then your chances of it just working go up.

In my experience, the vxsim environment is not particularly robust,
though it appears to improve with each release. Most of my work with
vxworks has been with arcane targets such that using vxsim created a
false sense of utopia--things worked on the sim but not on the actual
target.

PPC is at least a well-trod area for vxworks, so that's a significant
thing in your favor.

>> 6.5 has issues in many places, some targets more than others.  Maybe
>> consider being more specific?
>
>  We may be upgrading our license to 6.7 soon.  Any problems in
> particular that may get in the way of using boost?

My memory is that 6.5, though a substantial improvement over 6.4, was
still flaky. 6.7 was much improved both in the toolchain and the OS
itself. If you're using bog-standard BSPs, though, you're less likely
to get bitten.

>  I'm more or less looking for some sort of outline of what others
> have done to use boost in vxworks.  Everything I've found while
> googling indicates others have asked and figured it out, but never
> posted back to the original forums indicating what they did to get it
> working, or otherwise got it working and had problems further down the
> road.

I can't help with that; sorry. Were I to pursue that, I would start
with bjam and look at what's required to cross-compile boost. But if
you're only looking for serialization, start small at that level.