Subject: Re: [Boost-users] vxworks and pre-built boost libraries
From: Brian Vandenberg (phantall+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-29 16:50:08

> I've not used serialization before; if it's a header-only part of
> boost, then your chances  of it just working go up.

  Unfortunately it's not header-only.

> I can't help with that; sorry.  Were I to pursue that, I would start
> with bjam and look at what's required to cross-compile boost.  But if
> you're only looking for serialization, start small at that level.

  It looks as though serialize won't work for us for a few reasons,
among them is that [this version of vxworks?] doesn't have stellar
support for wchar_t, and boost::serialization appears to be tied
pretty strongly to it -- that is, all attempts at disabling wide
character support didn't seem to allow boost::serialization to build.
Though, I did get boost::regex to build. For future reference in case
anyone else is working on something similar:

./bjam -a --with-regex toolset=gcc target-os=linux threading=single
define=DISABLE_WIDE_CHAR_SUPPORT define=BOOST_NO_STD_WSTRING
define=__VXWORKS__ define="CPU=${VXSIMCPU}" define=VXSIM
define="TOOL_FAMILY=gnu" define="TOOL=gnu" define=_REENTRANT
include=${WIND_BASE}/target/h

A few notes on that:

* ${VXSIMCPU} is an environment variable I created that, in my
environment, was either SIMSPARCSOLARIS, SIMPENTIUM, SIMLINUX, or
something similar.
* The rest of the defines I'm more sure of, but I don't know whether
_REENTRANT actually did anything useful; I was more or less in shotgun
mode by that point.
* The include paths and possibly other defines may need tweaking to
get other libraries to build. 'system', for example, wouldn't build
at all.

-Brian