Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [boost] Boost.Fiber mini-review September 4-13
From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-09-05 14:36:31

>> I almost forgot to mention: Even without migratable fibers, users of
>> Boost.Fiber can not be guarantueed that all fibers are executed within the
>> same NUMA domain as the OS is free to migrate its processes/threads
>> however it wants.
>
> 1. boost.fiber does not know anything about NUMA - this is done in
> boost.job (I mentioned this lib as an example how boost.fiber could be
> used to execute jobs and distribute those jobs on processors)

You use the NUMA awareness argument as a rationale for not supporting moving Fiber, however.

> 2. you could pin an os thread to a processor

Sure. But that's outside of the scope of Boost.Fiber as well. Thus inhibiting moving Fibers by the library is restricting things for libraries/code built on top of it.

Regards Hartmut
http://boost-spirit.com
http://stellar.cct.lsu.edu