Subject: Re: [Boost-users] 1.66 changes in layout suffix seems to break cmake finder
From: Klaim - Joël Lamotte (mjklaim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-01-09 10:13:28

On 9 January 2018 at 08:29, Stephan Menzel via Boost-users <
boost-users_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 11:37 PM, Gavin Lambert via Boost-users <
> boost-users_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> The naming change was intentional to allow 32-bit and 64-bit libraries to
>> be built in one pass and to live in the same output directory.
>>
>> The latter is a common deployment requirement on Windows when shipping
>> both 32-bit and 64-bit executables, which previously required workarounds
>> such as using custom build ids or moving files to separate directories, and
>> also required building Boost twice with different options.
>>

> Hello Gavin,
>
> I don't doubt this is intentional but was puzzles me is the apparent lack
> of backwards compatibility. When breaking changes like these are
> introduced, I would normally expect some kind of switch to temporarily
> restore old behavior to give people a chance to adopt. Don't get me wrong,
> but this doesn't feel quite 'Boost' to me. I am currently trying to work
> with a manual rename and switch of as much autolink magick as possible. See
> how that rolls.

If my understanding is correct, even if the default layout changed, the
previous layout is still there so you can use the "--layout=<layout>"
option of Boost 1.66's b2,
which I just realized is not documented online yet, so just look at the
help info. I'm not totally sure but I think you need "versioned" layout to
get the previous layout.

A. Joël Lamotte