Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: Re: [geometry] readers/writers in VTK format for polygons
From: Barend Gehrels (barend_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-09 14:22:52

Hi Tomislav,

On 2-5-2013 11:40, Tomislav Maric wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> is there somewhere an additional source of information for IO and formatting
> apart from the sources?

I'm afraid, not really. The docs/sources contain the basics.

> I would like to extend the IO functionality to deal with the VTK Polydata file
> format for writing polygons, since I am planning to use boost.geometry for 3D
> calculations, and I am using ParaView VTK visualization application to visualize
> my simulation data, which works great for 3D stuff.

Sounds very interesting.

> I've read about the design rationale and the background of metaprogramming, tag
> dispatching, etc for a while now from different books, and I get those concepts,
> finally. O.o'
>
> I am using boost.geometry that is shipped with boost version 1.53 and I am
> digging through the "io" directory trying to figure out where to start.. so I
> would appreciate any advice..

The design rationale is indeed a good starting point. There are some
implementations writing geometry data: SVG, WKT, WKB. They all follow
the tag dispatching approach, where functionality (e.g. coordinate
writing) is used among the different geometries.

If you've specific questions, you can always ask them on the list.

Regards, Barend

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net