From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-07-12 09:55:24

At 09:17 AM 7/11/99 -0400, Dave Abrahams wrote:

>> I prefer the term "Appropriate Programming Practices." Many
(most?
>> all?) of so-called good programming practices are in fact only
>> appropriate in some situations and are completely inappropriate in
>> others. But that is just a quibble over terminology.
>
>You could always call it "the boost coding standard". That leaves
all moral
>and qualitative judgement out of it. We can supply rationale and let
people
>judge for themselves.

Good. It will be a heading on the More... page. Links to various
docs. Something like:

   Boost Coding Standards [or maybe "Boost Programming Practices"]

   These are the coding standards for namespace boost; programmers
   may find them useful guidelines for similar software libraries.

      Header Policy
      Implementation Variations
      etc.

I guess the policy is something like: If you want to put something in
namespace boost, you have to follow these practices pretty closely,
unless there is a killer reason not to.

--Beman

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/boost