From: Greg Colvin (gcolvin_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-07-12 13:27:14

From: Ed Brey <brey_at_[hidden]>
> The smart pointer documentation mentions that the efficiency of attached
> versus detached reference counts in shared pointers came out to be about
> the same under tests. It is not clear whether these tests were run
> before or after the fixes were put in to prevent memory leaks if
> allocating the detached reference count throws, but it appears as though
> there were run before. Have the tests been rerun since then. I
> would expect that adding the try blocks could significantly slow the
> detached implementation and may create an imbalance in the force,
> err, the efficiency.

It was before, and I have done no efficiency tests since then.

> Also, have any tests been done to compare code size of attached versus
> detached, with the exception handling now included.

Neither have I measured code size or studied the assembly
output since then.

Some one should do these things, but I'm just back from a
trip to Australia and wading through hundreds of emails, so
it won't be a priority for me this week.

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/boost