From: Nicolai Josuttis (nicolai.josuttis_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-07-13 11:54:34

Beman Dawes wrote:

> We really need to decide on a filetype extension for the namespace
> boost headers. Having some .h and some .hpp is just too confusing.

YES, I was close to raise this issue.

> In discussion of this issue a while ago, the only real technical
> argument was that separate extensions for C and C++ was of some help
> to external programs, such as make programs.
A unique extension allows to handle C++ file differently from other
files
without looking into the contents of the file.
This is a VERY important help not only for make but for any kind of
processing of files.
In addition, from my experience this extension is best supported by
tools
(it's a shame, but some tools still require certain extensions).
This was the main reason for me to switch to .hpp in the past.

-----
Nicolai M. Josuttis http://www.josuttis.de/
Solutions in Time mailto:solutions_at_[hidden]

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/boost