From: Dietmar Kuehl (dietmar.kuehl_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-07-22 14:30:17

Hi,

>Anyway, I wonder if there would be a place for experimental/unpolished
>ideas and snippets for people to look at and improve, possibly one day
>being put into an actual library. I have *many* such things that I think
>could be of use, but they don't (currently) have an audience. For some
>reason, posting them to a newsgroup just doesn't seem appropriate, as
>there's no common goal - just discussion.

My understanding is that the presubmissions are kind of these experimental,
not necessary fully polished codes. Actually, I think the beta libraries
are also not necessary polished and I would hope for comments.

However, even small code snippet need some description to explain what
they are good for and potentially why they are done the way they are.
Since a code snippet is still useless until it has an appropriate
copyright, I don't see much difference between a basically ready
contribution and a collection of snippets.

>What I'd really like is to be able to get together with everyone
>face-to-face and discuss and implement libraries as a group, but this is
>the internet :-(

You can meet quite a bunch of those talking on this mailing list at the
normal C++ standardization committee meetings (plus some who are not
talking here but are still interesting to meet). I think we will have
kind of a Boost meeting at one of the days (on the last two meetings
this was just a lunch with a few persons). I know for sure that Nico
and myself are at the next meetings. Beman, Dave, Greg, Nathan, Sean,
and Valentine also show up regularily. And the next meeting will be at
a site where it is probably worth going anyway: Kona/Hawaii.

Dietmar