From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-07-26 15:50:11

At 12:01 PM 7/26/99 -0500, Ed Brey wrote:

>Email seemed somewhat boring, until Beman Dawes wrote:
>>
>>It is now possible to download all of Boost as a single .zip file.
>>(Actually, I dropped the photos to keep the file size down.)
>
>I like the ZIP orgainization such that all the files that need to
>be compiled as part of a program using the boost libraries are
lumped
>together by themselves in one boost directory.

Looking at it from the user's standpoint seems essential, and I can't
see a user rooting around in (eventually) dozens of subdirectories
looking for files that need to be compiled or headers that need to be
copied somewhere else.

>Subsectioning the details of each library into their own directories

>is also good. However, I question including the .zip and .tgz files
>into the large zip. Presumably, downloading the all-inclusive zip
>should preclude the need for the small zip files. It also defeats
>your attempt to exclude picturese, as evidenced by the 191k picture
>of Dietmar wearing his Pink Floyd shirt in dir_it.zip.

Yes, agreed. Keep in mind that it is much easier if the directory
structure of the submission ZIP's, the web site, and the
boost_all.zip are the same. Sure I could build scripts to reconcile
differences, but it is far easier if they are the same and so can be
bulk zipped/copied/unzipped/etc. I don't want to ask Dietmar to keep
reworking the scripts he uses to build submissions until the design
is stable. It is still a work in progress as of the moment.

>=============
>
>The libraries page says:
>
>Download all of Boost as a single ZIP file. As more libraries refer
>each other, installing one at at time is painful. This is a first
try at
>making installation easier.
>
>but fails to provides a hyperlink. The hyperlink in the news
section
>of the main page works fine, however.

Fixed. Thanks.

><picky> News item:
>"Many headers were changed to an extension of .hpp on July 23,
1999.."
>has an extra period.</picky>

Fixed. Thanks.

--Beman