From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-08-17 09:54:26

Based on the past discussions of stdint.h and other integer related
topics, I have put together some first draft documentation and three
headers.

  See http://www.boost.org/libs/integer

Note the Rationale. I believe that most of the concerns raised in
prior discussions have been addressed.

Help wanted:

* Who would like to contribute the boost integer_traits and integer
chooser classes? Valentin? Kevlin?

Minor issues:

* As an implementation artifact unrelated to the specification,
<boost/stdint.h> and thus <boost/cstdint.hpp> #include <limits.h>.
This allows an implementation portable to many (most?) modern
computer systems, but has the side effect of defining a bunch of
macros (xxx_MAX/xxx_MIN/etc). Should these be #undef'ed at the end
of boost/stdint.h?

* What compilers does
http://www.boost.org/libs/integer/bin_ubin_test.cpp work with? It is
already known to work with Metrowerks and Microsoft compilers. It
doesn't work with gcc 2.95 - are there any egcs experts out there
that can provide insight?

Background:

* The bin/ubin portable integer holder classes are critical building
blocks for a portable file-based STL style B-tree container I am
working on. And since <boost/bin_ubin.hpp> includes
<boost/cstdint.hpp> which in turn includes <boost/stdint.h>, testing
it in effect tests all three headers.

Comments appreciated!

--Beman