From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-09-07 10:18:05

Dave Abrahams wrote:

>> Yes, the process has been loud-and-noisy, and you can call it
>> design-by-committee if you want. But as one of the original
>> collaborators, I don't mind admitting it seems to have produced a
>> superior result to the initial "design-by-collaboration".
>
>Anyone who has seen Beman run a C++ library working group meeting
knows that
>he is extraordinary in his patience and equanimity. Perhaps I should
just
>cool it and learn yet another lesson from watching him.

Thanks for the kind words!

>Still, participating in boost has become significantly less
enjoyable for me
>recently... I think it's because it seems like there are too many
posts
>which are ill-considered but I'm not sure. Maybe the difference is
that in a
>LWG meeting, only one person talks at a time, so people have to
really think
>through whether they are going to make a contribution with what they
say. I
>hope I'm not insulting anyone here - that's not my intention.
>
>So, Beman, are you saying there is a spectrum that runs from
>"design-by-committee" through "loud-and-noisy" to "bazaar" and that
we're in
>the middle but not as bad off as I'm making it out to be?

Yes. Remember that it is still fairly early in the process of
getting Boost going. Both as a group and as individuals we are still
figuring out what works and what doesn't.

And while process is important, the quality of the libraries is how
the outside world will judge us. So step back and look at the
libraries from time-to-time. If you don't like what you see, then
lobby for big changes in process. But if the libraries look pretty
good to you, small process adjustments seem to me to be what is
indicated.

>Just trying to sort out how to be an effective (and happy) citizen,

Just like the C++ Committee, there is no single best way to be "an
effective (and happy) citizen." Some seem happiest and contribute
the most by active participation on the mailing list. Some work on
small libraries. Others work on larger libraries. Writing papers
suits some, and I hope we see more of this.

If occasional off-topic or poorly thought out mailing list postings
bother you, take a deep breath, relax, and work on your favorite
library idea for awhile. And if the are more that just occasional
ones, complain! We need to know it if we are going astray.

Thanks for the input,

--Beman