From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-12-20 14:31:34

At 03:42 PM 12/19/99 -0500, Dave Abrahams wrote:

>This is an issue we're going to need to tackle sooner or later.
>
>Here are some questions; I'm sure there are more:
>
>1. Since the libraries are interdependent, shouldn't boost overall
have a
>version-numbering scheme so that users can refer to a version they
require?

Sure. What's your favorite? Just start at 1.00 and increment each
time I build the boost_all.zip file?

>2. Should we care about link compatibility of earlier and later
versions, or
>should we just require a recompile? (I favor the latter)

The latter.

>X. [can of worms] When (and how) can we make changes to libraries
that
>render them incompatible with previous versions?

Lots of developers try to limit introduction of incompatibilities to
major releases, not just .something releases. That takes a certain
amount of self-discipline, however.

How do some of the others do it? Do the EGCS people internally
announce a target date for a major release, and then contributors try
to get their stuff ready for that release?

--Beman