From: Gabriel Dos Reis (Gabriel.Dos-Reis_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-12-22 18:04:30

jsiek_at_[hidden] writes:

| Dave Abrahams writes:
| >
| > 3. Boris Fomitchev and I have found, in doing the latest STLPort for gcc,
| > that -fhonor-std doesn't actually work. Amazing as it may sound, std is
| > still (mis-)treated specially, though in slightly mysterious ways. That's
| > why the STLPort for gcc doesn't actually put anything in std. Instead,
| > everything goes into namespace stlport and the header files automatically do
| > #define std stlport
| > for you.
|
| Yes, this is especially crazy. They actually hacked the gcc compiler
| to ignore namespace std!

That happens only when -fno-honor-std is enabled (which is the
default).

| ... Of all the broken ways of avoiding fixing
| their library code...

As said in its documentation, GCC-2.92.x/g++ does not put its library
in namespace ::std. There is an ongoing project (libstdc++-v3)

        http://sourceware,cygnus.com/libstdc++/

which is supposed to provide a fully ISO C++ conformant library. That
library is put in namespace ::std.

If you have a test case, with -fhonor-std, which shows that ::std is
still treated in a special way that breaks user code, then you're
welcome to file a bug-report at

        gcc-bugs_at_[hidden]

-- Gaby