From: Dave Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 1999-12-22 19:24:50

> If STLPort really produces a complete standard library implementation
> that works better with boost libraries than the standard libraries
> shipped with the Microsoft and GCC compilers (which lots of boost
> members seem to use), maybe we should mention that on the boost web
> site and provide an STLPort link.

Well, it's still in beta, so we're ironing out kinks in the "full library
support" version (with its own iostream implementation), but I have
confidence that it will work. Since I only just started using gcc I'm not
sure how much of an improvement you get when the STLport is configured to
use the native iostreams instead of its own. Of course, STLport is based on
an alpha of the SGI STL, which is being developed in part to become the std
library for gcc. Since most of the pieces seem to be there in the stock SGI
version, a better library for gcc shouldn't be too far off [yes, I'm a bit
confused about all this, too!]

You'll all be glad to know that gcc has some nasty operator lookup/namespace
issues which I spent all day tracking down and finding workarounds for.
Sound familiar? ;)

The STLport should also improve things for MSVC as it currently ships. I
wouldn't bet on it being better (or worse) than the latest libs available
from Dinkumware, but of course Microsoft isn't shipping those yet!

-Dave