From: jsiek_at_[hidden]
Date: 1999-12-22 19:24:02

Dave Abrahams writes:
> Well, it's still in beta, so we're ironing out kinks in the "full library
> support" version (with its own iostream implementation), but I have
> confidence that it will work. Since I only just started using gcc I'm not
> sure how much of an improvement you get when the STLport is configured to
> use the native iostreams instead of its own. Of course, STLport is based on
> an alpha of the SGI STL, which is being developed in part to become the std
> library for gcc. Since most of the pieces seem to be there in the stock SGI

Actually, it's more confusing than you think. It is only the STL part
of the SGI implementation that is going into the std library for gcc.
As far as I know that gnu folks have their own iostreams implementation.

> version, a better library for gcc shouldn't be too far off [yes, I'm a bit
> confused about all this, too!]
>
> You'll all be glad to know that gcc has some nasty operator lookup/namespace
> issues which I spent all day tracking down and finding workarounds for.
> Sound familiar? ;)
>
> The STLport should also improve things for MSVC as it currently ships. I
> wouldn't bet on it being better (or worse) than the latest libs available
> from Dinkumware, but of course Microsoft isn't shipping those yet!

Yes, I put a lot of blood into making the SGI iostreams more MSVC
compatible earlier this fall. (and I know Boris put a lot of work into
that on his side too). It was quite a challenge, since SGI's iostreams
were designed with only their own EDG based compiler in mind.

Cheers,

Jeremy

 Jeremy Siek
 Ph.D. Candidate email: jsiek_at_[hidden]
 Univ. of Notre Dame work phone: (650) 933-8724
 and cell phone: (415) 377-5814
 C++ Library & Compiler Group fax: (650) 932-0127
 SGI www: http://www.lsc.nd.edu/~jsiek/