From: Beman Dawes (beman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-01-09 21:04:09

At 10:17 AM 1/8/00 -0500, Dave Abrahams wrote:

>Funny thing: I always thought of knuth-morris-pratt and boyer-moore
as
>search algorithms, not types of patterns, as you have defined them.
Is
>pattern type really so intimately tied to search algorithm? For
example, a
>regular expression might be searched using NFAs or DFAs. These
really seem
>like different concepts to me.

I tried to read John's proposal to form an opinion on the above, but
quickly got lost in the details.

John, (or anybody), could you provide a usage example or two so we
could see what it looks like from the user's viewpoint. While Dave's
comment above seems to the point, I really can't form an opinion with
knowing what some user code would look like.

Thanks for all the hard work,

--Beman