From: jsiek_at_[hidden]
Date: 2000-01-11 20:31:42

Dave Abrahams writes:
> > So I'll word it, "if the value type has public members, then the
> > Collection's reference type must also provide the member access
> > operator"
>
> Umm, "member access operator"?!?
>
> You know, we don't have operator.() in C++.

I know, that is the problem we are trying to carefully step around. I
made this more clear in the last update to the docvault.

Basically what I was trying to say is that proxied containers would
only satisfy Collection in particular cases when the value type has no
public members (like vector<bool>). A proxied containers would not
satisfy Collection when the value type has members.

> I think you should clarify (and I predict it will not be easy to do so!)
>
> Also, I would particularly like to hear from Howard and Greg on this, since
> they have both had experience with proxied containers. Does this reflect the
> intended concept, or would it be acceptable for member access to fail for
> references?

 Jeremy Siek
 Ph.D. Candidate email: jsiek_at_[hidden]
 Univ. of Notre Dame work phone: (650) 933-8724
 and cell phone: (415) 377-5814
 C++ Library & Compiler Group fax: (650) 932-0127
 SGI www: http://www.lsc.nd.edu/~jsiek/