From: jorg.schaible_at_[hidden]
Date: 2000-01-27 15:00:40

Hi there,

attached to this mail there is a ported version (from Java to C++) of the core
system of the JUnit 3.1 test suite of Kent Beck and Erich Gamma. The classes
allow you to setup easy module tests for your classes and integrate this test
applciations in an automated test procedure. The JUnit suite normally has also a
GUI version, but since C++ has no standard it is not part of the port. To
integrate future versions of JUnit I try to stay very close the the original
Java source although I changed the concept of the TestRunner slightly to
seperate data and test output and to gain make support from the exit code of a
test application. Also I dropped some Java only features.

I am aware that from Michael Feathers exists another port of JUnit, but
- the version I previously had did not fulfill the Boost standards (e.g. using
namespace std in the headers)
- I had to have a portable version
- I wanted to have a JUnit port added to Boost to have some kind of standard
- wanted to build automated tests and was not interested in a GUI
- I needed it now (most common reason <g>)

Additionally I know also DejaGNU, but I found it very nasty to provide Windows
development seats with the necessary environment and train the people with that
complete package.

Concerning the proposal to Boost I am interested in following answers:
- The original source seperates the classes into different files. Currently most
boost libraries use just one single header in the boost directory. Shoud I keep
this single header (yes, the inlines are too big) or separate this classes also?
- Should I move the classes in an additional namespace boost::test?

Awaiting your comments ....

Regards,
Jörg

(See attached file: testunit.hpp)

Example:

(See attached file: SimpleTest.hpp)(See attached file: SimpleTest.cpp)(See
attached file: AllTests.cpp)