From: Boris Fomitchev (fbp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-01-31 15:40:26

"miki jovanovic" <mik-_at_[hidden]> wrote:
original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/boost/?start=2035

> Linked pointer seemed like a silver bullet, because it bypassed the
> memory manager, and still did not have big overheads, but now I see
its
> drawbacks too. It is important to keep this conversation going just so
> as many facts and theories about the different implementations are
> discovered.

What drawbacks ? I see only advantages -
1) it bypasses global memory manager (if you need synch, you add one to
the
free list only). Or do you mean one still has to implement sync ? This
is not a drawback of the approach, it's implementation issue.
2) it speeds up the allocation and uses the least amount of memory
possible.

-Boris.