From: Kevlin Henney (Kevlin.Henney_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-02-04 02:24:19

Beman Dawes wrote:
[...]
>I also worry that testunit just doesn't feel like modern C++. It
>seems more the way people used to do things before templates came
>along, when they were trying to use C++ as if it were Smalltalk.
>That isn't always a bad thing, but does raise question of what a more
>spirit-of-C++ design would look like.
>
>The scope of the package is also a concern. It might be better to
>start with something smaller and simpler, and let it evolve as real
>needs appear.
[...]
>There really is a need for some kind of small, easy-to-use testing
>framework, so the idea is worth discussion.
>
>What do others think?

I looked at JUnit a while back, and it is perfectly idiomatic Java which,
as you note, means that a direct translation just doesn't feel right for
C++ -- in addition to IPR issues.

At the time I knocked up a much simpler alternative that seems to suit most
needs. I am going to update the stream_cast code in the vault in the next
couple of days, and will include the test header as part of the suite so
anyone that's interested can take a look.

Kevlin