From: Raja R Harinath (harinath_at_[hidden])
Date: 2000-02-15 15:04:16

Hi,

Sorry to bother the list.

Steve writes:
> > somehow your eGroup profile seems to be scrambled - you may possibly
> update your
> > profile and change your e-mail address twice? I was just annoyed by seeing
> my
> > e-mail address in every of your postings (without any possibility to mail
> to you
> > directly instead via the list), although others may have seen their own
> address
> > instead of mine, but that I do not know.
> >

> OK. I changed my address. I'm sending one copy of this to the mailing list
> and one copy to you directly to test. Let me know how the list copy looks
> to you.
>
> -Steve

Steve, you appear to have a broken mail setup. Apparently neither
your MUA or MTA seem to be adding a From: header when sending mail
out.

Other MTAs, either at eGroups.com or on the receiving side, appear to
be putting the "envelope from" address into the missing From: header.

And the last piece of the puzzle: the eGroups MLM uses individually
crafted "envelope from"s to aid detection of bounces. It is
constructed as follows (assuming foo_at_[hidden] is the recepient):

   boost-return-<nnn>-foo=bar.com_at_[hidden]

This has the following info embedded:

  1. address of recepient
  2. name of mailing list
  3. serial number of message that bounced

That is why each of us sees our own email address (in mangled form) in
the From: header.

So, in effect, Steve, fix your mail setup.

- Hari

  MUA: Mail/message User Agent (your mailer)
  MTA: Mail/message Tranfer Agent (the mail server)
  MLM: Mailing List Manager
  "envelope from": The address to which an MTA informs about
                   delivery failures for that message

--
Raja R Harinath ------------------------------ harinath_at_[hidden]